Hair Therapy for the Workout
Engaging in physical activity may mean extra time to care for your hair. Exercising and hair care has not always been a friendly combination. Regular exercise improves your health and helps you feel good about yourself. Some women say that concern for their hairstyle can get in the way of exercise. Here are some tips to follow, during and after exercise to keep your hair feeling and looking great.
Maintaining Healthy & Fashionable Hair
Working out makes you feel great and is good for your overall being. You want great looking and healthy hair to go along with this great feeling you possess. Having great styled hair shows a positive self-attitude and makes you feel good about the way you look. There are ways to maintain a fit body while protecting your hair and keeping a fashionable hairstyle. Exercise can cause damage to the hair by way of salt buildup from sweating. Not removing salt from hair may cause hair to become dry, dull, break and or shed.
- After a workout shampoo hair with a gentle cleansing, non-stripping formula that contain conditioners which lather quickly to detangle and smooth the cuticles leaving your hair feeling soft and silky.
- For swimmers, shampoo your hair with a gentle, sulfate free shampoo, which will not strip and dry the hair.
- Condition your hair after every shampoo to strengthen and revitalize the hair. Use of a reconstructive conditioner after a workout will keep hair from drying and shedding.
- To avoid excessive dryness and over processing the hair, limit your use of blow dryers and curling irons.
Note: Some African American hair may dry out with frequent daily shampooing, we suggest rinsing the hair after swimming or exercise if needed, or shampoo every 3 to 7 days to remove salt buildup and always condition your hair. Talk to your hairstylist to help choose the correct hair care products.
Maintaining Hair During The Work Out
While engaging in exercise, pull long hair away from face and neck. Wear a hair scrunchie or a hair clamp, such as an abbey for fashion. For shorter hair, wrap hair with a fashionable scarf or use a braided head band to keep hair from flopping towards the face. Or braid hair loosely and pin up.
Note: Try applying conditioner on dry hair before the workout, especially if you are going to sit in the steam room. You will love the results! Remember to shampoo or rinse your hair afterwards (conditioning again is not needed).
The Best Hairstyle For Your Active Life
Good Hair is healthy hair that is natural, permed, or relaxed. Always consult with your professional hairstylist to make style and hair care recommendations to fit your active life style and budget.
- Natural hairstyles (without hair additions) hold up to frequent shampoos
- Short hair is easy to wash and wear and dries quickly
- Long hair can be pulled back by add hairpieces for a fashionable look
- Braids, twist and locks, are also great style keepers during a workout
- Blunt cuts looks are easy to maintain after exercising
- Wigs, hairpieces and other hair accessories can be used to maintain a look during and after physical activities
Which Is Better For Me?
Note: What type of hairstyle is the best for exercising? Always consider your budget and how much extra time is needed to care for your hair when making choices.
Natural hair (hair that is not chemically altered) is strong, healthy and beautiful. There are several face flattering styles to wear and can be easy to maintain.
Chemically altered hair (hair that is permed, relaxed or colored) can be easy to maintain, but requires extra conditioning. Hair is in a fragile state due to chemical altering and exercising can cause more dryness from the sweating.
- Ponytail Holders
- Hair Claws
- Blunt Cuts
A hair addition (hair that has extensions of some type attached) looks great and gives you many style and color options. These can be in the form of braids, locks, weaves etc. Treat weave hair as your own and always follow your hairstylist recommendation on the upkeep of your style.
Note: After a great work out and you are in a hurry and cannot shampoo, antiseptic is a great scalp refresher. Just use a towel or cotton balls to cleanse your scalp.
Looking Good and Feeling Fit!
Exercising makes you feel great and radiates beauty from the inside to the outside. Any activity that gets you to move more can improve your overall health. Let’s not let hair get in the way of good health. Remember you can exercise and keep a fashionable hairstyle by protecting your hair and keeping it healthy.
Angela Fox owner of A Fox International is a Licensed Educator/Cosmetologist and Consultant for the professional Hair Care Industry. You can reach me by writing to 1028 Professional Dr. Flint, MI 48532 or calling 810-732-8861